Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Normal Christian Life part 3

What am I really saying is that ONLY Jesus can live the Christian life in us.  So then what are we to do?  Let Him live through you as you learn to abide/remain in Him.

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. John 15:1-8
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. 2
Corinthians 2:14
Now in Christianity there are different approaches that have been developed to TRY and live the Christian.  Consider some of the more popular ways to be a Christian and follow Jesus.

Option #1: Living the Christian Life through self-effort.  This is one extreme that involves self-effort & willpower (very aggressive).  This often leads a believer to be critical of others who don’t try as hard (self-righteousness) and leads to either faking Christianity and putting up a good front or walking away saying I tried it, it doesn’t work

Option #2: Living the Christian Life through no-effort.  This is the other extreme and is sometimes called letting go & letting God (very passive).  Like my friend who needed work and just sat by the phone waiting for someone to call him with a job.  Now mind you he didn’t send out any resumes for work but was just sitting tight waiting for a call, you can guess how many calls came in.

Option #3: Living the Christian Life through a come & go relationship.  This is the most common approach to Christianity and says: “Lord help me remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together can’t handle.”  This often leads to having a 2-sphered life, one sphere being secular, the other being spiritual.  When I go to church or Bible study I’m spiritual, the rest is secular… come and go, back and forth.

The ONLY Option: In the New Testament, and trust me once you see this you will see it everywhere in the New Testament, the ONLY option that God has provided for  for Living the Christian Life is for Jesus to live His life through you and you abide in Him.  And guess what it’s the best option because it’s God’s idea not man’s.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

What we need is for a spirit or wisdom and revelation, how else can we know apart from God telling us.
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,
and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, Ephesians 1:17-19
For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. Colossians 1:9


No comments:

Post a Comment