Friday, July 6, 2012

Motivated Spirituality part 2

So far we are motivated to follow Christ, because there are NO other options

A 2nd motivation is Fear, not just in the negative sense but also in the positive sense.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. 2 Corinthians 5:10-11

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. Revelation 1:17-18

Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.  2 Corinthians 7:1

Then a voice came from the throne, saying: "Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, both small and great!" Revelation 19:5
"Satan’s cause is never more in danger than when a human being no longer desiring, but still intending to do God’s will,  looks around upon a world from which every trace of God seems to have vanished and asks why he has been forsaken, yet still obeys.” C.S. Lewis “The Screwtape Letters
Thirdly there is Love & Gratitude

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4:8-10

Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. Colossians 1:21

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. John 15:9-10

So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 2 Corinthians 5:9

A couple questions as we finish today
Q: Do you love God more for Himself than His good gifts and benefits?

Q: Are you more motivated to seek God’s glory rather than your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment