Monday, July 30, 2012

Devotional Spirituality: part 1

I’d like to move to some thoughts on devotional spirituality by first considering our image of God.  He needs to be the object of our love and affection... above all else.  That’s why idolatry is such a BIG issue in the Bible.  Who is like God!!!

yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live. 1 Corinthians 8:6

that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. John 17:21

I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. John 17:23
 
"When I found Israel, it was like finding grapes in the desert; when I saw your fathers, it was like seeing the early fruit on the fig tree. But when they came to Baal Peor, they consecrated themselves to that shameful idol and became as vile as the thing they loved.
Hosea 9:10
"The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of its love.” Henry Scougal, The Life of God in the Soul of Man

We can love God by loving His World, His Word, His Works & His Ways.

Loving God through His World

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

How many are your works, O LORD! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. Psalm 104:24

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:13-14
Loving God through His Word

Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. Psalm 119:18

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Do not merely listen to the ord, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. James 1:21-22
In Loving God through His Word let’s distinguish between the different types of Bible reading we do.  Here are just 2 types to consider, and we need both!

Informational Reading
Seeks to cover as much as possible
A linear process
Seeks to master the text
The text as an object to use
Analytical, critical and judgmental approach
Problem-solving mentality                         
Formational Reading
Focuses on small portions of Scripture
An In-Depth process
Allows the text to master us
Humble, submissive, willing, loving approach
The text aka subject that shapes us
Openness to mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment