Thursday, January 12, 2012

Idolatry & the BIBLE

Specifically in the Bible we find that Idolatry is a HUGE theme, consider what God’s Word says about Idol.


From the belly of the great fish Jonah prays…

Jonah 2:8 "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs.

 1. Idols Rule Us

Exodus 20:1-3 And God spoke all these words: "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. "You shall have no other gods before me.
Isaiah 2:8-9 Their land is full of idols; they bow down to the work of their hands, to what their fingers have made. So man will be brought low and mankind humbled-- do not forgive them.
Matthew 6:19-24 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. "The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
John 8:34 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

2. Idols Deceive Us

Psalm 119:8 I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me.

Ezekiel 14:3-7 "Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces. Should I let them inquire of me at all? Therefore speak to them and tell them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When any Israelite sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling block before his face and then goes to a prophet, I the LORD will answer him myself in keeping with his great idolatry. I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols.' "Therefore say to the house of Israel, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Repent! Turn from your idols and renounce all your detestable practices! "'When any Israelite or any alien living in Israel separates himself from me and sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling block before his face and then goes to a prophet to inquire of me, I the LORD will answer him myself.

3. Idols Entrap Us

1 Corinthians 10:14 Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry.
1 John 5:21 Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.

4. Idols Are Impotent

Jeremiah 10:5 Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."

There’s more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment