Monday, January 9, 2012

Made in America, Revelaed in our Hearts

Idol Factories… part 3

Dear children, keep yourselves from idols. 1 John 5:21

So okay Idols, they come in tangible and intangible forms. I’ve mentioned 4 key areas so far, which were

1. Riches (Materialism)
2. Relationship Idols
3. Religious idols
4. Pride (the worship of SELF), which by the way is often (like the other idols mentioned) seen as a “good” thing in our culture

The fifth area of idolatry in America is physical comfort.  The way to follow Christ is…

Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me

Self denial is not just about denying Self to deny Self, it is the denial of Self for something Greater, and that is Jesus Christ.  I deny my Old Life in order for the New Life in Christ to be manifested.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things. Philippians 3:18-19

I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired men and women singers, and a harem as well--the delights of the heart of man. I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me. I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun. Ecclesiastes 2:4-11

for they themselves report what kind of reception you gave us. They tell how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 1 Thessalonians 1:9
Idolatry is a HUGE theme in the Scriptures and God has much to say about these idols that we face at every turn in life

1. Idols have no real existence

So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 1 Corinthians 8:4

But their idols are silver and gold, made by the hands of men. They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes, but they cannot see; they have ears, but cannot hear, noses, but they cannot smell; they have hands, but cannot feel, feet, but they cannot walk; nor can they utter a sound with their throats. Those who make them will be like them, and so will all who trust in them. Psalm 115:4-8

The idols of the nations are silver and gold, made by the hands of men. They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes, but they cannot see; they have ears, but cannot hear, nor is there breath in their mouths. Those who make them will be like them, and so will all who trust in them. Psalm 135:15-18

Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. You had the goblets from his temple brought to you, and you and your nobles, your wives and your concubines drank wine from them. You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways. Daniel 5:23
2. Idolatry is a work of the flesh

idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions Galatians 5:20

 3. Idols are at the core of an Unbeliever’s life

for they themselves report what kind of reception you gave us. They tell how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 1 Thessalonians 1:9
Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. Galatians 4:8


No comments:

Post a Comment