Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Whole Heart: by Andrew Murray

"I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands." Psalm 119:10

Notice how often the psalmist speaks of the "all the heart" or the "whole heart" "Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart." (Psalm 119:2). "Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart." (Psalm 119:34). "Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart." (Psalm 119:69). "I call with all my heart; answer me, O Lord, and I will obey your decrees." (Psalm 119:145). In seeking God, in observing His law, in crying for His help ----- each time it is with his whole heart.
When we want to be successful in business, we put our whole heart into it. Isn't this even more necessary in the service of a holy God? He is worthy. The whole heart is needed in the service of God when we worship Him.
We often forget this. In prayer, in reading His word, in seeking to do His will, we fail to say continually: "I have tried my best ----- with my whole heart ----- to find You." Let us learn to say: "I desire to seek God and to serve Him with my whole heart."
Meditate and pray about this. Spend time before God until you know that you really mean what you say and you have the assurance that God will hear your prayer. Then each morning as you approach God in prayer you can honestly say, "I seek You with my whole heart." You gradually will feel the need of waiting in holy stillness upon God so that He may take possession of your whole heart. You will learn to love Him with your whole heart and your whole mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment