Monday, June 3, 2013

Warfare Spirituality part 4


Thus far we have been discussing Warfare With the Flesh (and the handling temptations, before they handle us)
  For in my inner being I delight in God's law;  but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. Romans 7:22-23
 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, Colossians 1:13

We have talked about…

Temptation to Anger (Insofar as depression is anger turned inward, these affirmations are relevant for depression as well.)

Temptation to Seek Revenge  This is sin.
"Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. . . . If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge" (Rom. 12:17-19).
 

Sexual Temptation

There is no future in this. (It would damage my relationship with God and could destroy my relationship with my spouse and children, as well as damage my reputation and discredit my ministry;

Was a man already circumcised when he was called? He should not become uncircumcised. Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised. 1 Corinthians 7:18

I will not degrade this person but treat her/him with dignity and honor. (I will treat her/him as a subject, not an object, since she/he has been created in the image of God.)

I will let the attractiveness direct me to praise for the greatness of her/his Creator. [This is a kind of spiritual judo in which you use quick movement and leverage to throw your opponent; in this case, you redirect the incoming force from temptation to praise.]

I am no longer under the power of sin, but I am alive to God in Christ Jesus

In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Romans 6:11

(I am not a skin-wrapped package of glands, but a new creation in Christ;

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17

I will walk by the Spirit and not carry out the desire of the flesh

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. Galatians 5:16
 Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 2 Timothy 2:22

I will fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and Perfector of faith (Heb. 12:2).

Temptation to Covet

This is sin. "You shall not covet" (Exod. 20:17).

I do not want to sin. Sin is beneath the dignity of the person I have become in Christ Jesus

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,  made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved.  And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,  in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2:4-7

I do not have to sin. I am no longer under the power of sin, but I am alive to God in Christ Jesus

In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Romans 6:11
 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation--but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it.  For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live,  because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. Romans 8:12-14

Then why am I tempted to covet? Because I am not content with what I have.

My lack of contentment stems from comparison with other people. [There will always be people who have better possessions, positions, marriages, children, ministries, etc., than I have. The more I focus on this, the more I can be consumed by jealousy, envy, and resentment.]

I will take my eyes off other people's possessions and fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of faith (Heb. 12:2).

God is in control and has my best interests at heart (Rom. 8:28). Therefore, I will be content and thankful with what He gives me.

No comments:

Post a Comment