Thursday, May 9, 2013

Warfare Spirituality part 2


3. Warfare on Three Fronts

·        The World

 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
John 16:33
 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.
1 John 5:4

·        The Flesh

 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.  For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.
Galatians 5:16-17

·        The Devil

 and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.    
John 16:11
 I write to you, fathers, because you have known him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
1 John 2:14
 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
1 John 4:4

 “There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors"

C. S. Lewis, Preface to The Screwtape Letters

4. Warfare With the Flesh (handling temptations)

 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20
 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.
Colossians 2:23
 For in my inner being I delight in God's law;
 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.
Romans 7:22-23
 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.
Romans 8:23
 For in my inner being I delight in God's law;
 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.
Romans 7:22-23
 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,
Colossians 1:13

More to come on handling Warfare with the Flesh

No comments:

Post a Comment