Thursday, May 17, 2012

Being Conformed thru Discipline part 6

I would like to say a little more about our time in God’s Word and the absolute necessity of hiding His Word in our hearts.  There are many ways to fill our mind these days with God’s Word.  We have the written Word, everybody has a Bible… or 2 or 3.  I have the Bible on my IPOD (max Mclean reading it, which I bought years ago as MP3s) and now also on my IPhone, which has multiple versions for free in print and audio… Max Mclean again, but for free.  We have so many opportunities, but in our harried lives we must carve out time to be with God in His Word.

There are many passages that come to mind about the importance of this, but here’s just a few all from Psalm 119.

Psalm 119:9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.

Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:28 My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
Psalm 119:37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.
Psalm 119:67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.
Psalm 119:89 Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
Psalm 119:101 I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.
Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
Psalm 119:133 Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.
Psalm 119:172 May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous.

Now there are many ways to read God’s Word, here is an ancient idea from Church History which many Christians have practiced in following Jesus.  It’s called “Lectio Divina” (latin) = sacred reading. Simply put:

Lectio = reading: pick a short passage to read
Meditatio = meditation: take some time to reflect on this passage
Oratio = Prayer: pray it back to God
Contemplatio = contemplation: be silent before God, and yield to His presence

Why not try it today with Ephesians chapter 1 or 3, great chapters to read, meditate on and personalize while praying back to the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment