Monday, December 5, 2011

Who Do You Say I AM?

Who Do You Say I AM?

"But what about you?" Jesus asked. "Who do you say I am?" Matthew 16:15

Clearly this is the most important question anyone can answer during their life.  Here are what some have said over the years.

"A heroic figure... not wholly to blame for the religion that's been foisted on him." Ezra Pound

"A lot of people say to me, ''Why did you kill Christ?'' ''I dunno... it was one of those parties, got out of hand, you know.'' ''We killed him because he didn't want to become a doctor, that's why we killed him.'' Lenny Bruce

"A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act." Mahatma Gandhi

"Above all the grace and the gifts that Christ gives to his beloved is that of overcoming self."  St. Francis of Assisi
 
"Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded an empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him."  Napoleon Bonaparte

"By a Carpenter mankind was made, and only by that Carpenter can mankind be remade."  Desiderius Erasmus

"in order to be a Christian, one must have “some kind of belief about Christ.” He then added: “I do not think Christ was the best and wisest of men, although I grant him a very high degree of moral goodness” “Historically it is quite doubtful whether Christ ever existed at all, and if He did we do not know anything about Him." Bertrand Russell

"Regardless of what anyone may personally think or believe about him, Jesus of Nazareth has been the dominant figure in the history of Western culture for almost twenty centuries. … It is from his birth that most of the human race dates its calendars; it is by his name that millions curse and in his name that millions pray." Jaroslav Pelikan, professor emeritus of history, Yale University

" You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics; in physical laws every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It’s clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. I’m absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that “as you reap, so you will sow” stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff.... But I’d be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge. I’d be in deep s—. It doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but I’m holding out for Grace. I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity." Bono

So how about you, Who do you say Jesus is?





No comments:

Post a Comment